City of Fort Smith, Arkansas

Utility Department


project concern


Project Concern is a utility assistance program established by the City of Fort Smith to provide relief to low-income customers who use utility services solely for residential purposes. Applicants must provide a completed and signed application, current utility bill in their name, and proof of income for all household members. Gross household income must not exceed 165% of the current federal poverty guidelines. Participants are required to requalify annually or when moving to a new address.
The program allows eligible participants to receive the following discounts:
  • Water Services – 50% of base charge
  • Sewer Services – 50% rate discount
  • Sanitation Services – 19% discount
Click here to download the Project Concern application and guidelines. 


Application packets can be picked up in person at the following Fort Smith locations:

  • Utility Offices - 801 Carnall Avenue (Map)
  • City Offices - 623 Garrison Avenue
  • Antioch for Youth & Family - 1122 N 11th Street 
  • United Way - 120 N 13th St


supplemental environmental project (SEP)


As part of an agreement with the EPA, the City has developed a Supplemental Environmental Project (SEP) to help low-income homeowners pay for private sewer line repairs.
To qualify for the program, homeowners must meet both of the requirements below:
  1. Must have a defect for Infiltration and Inflow or “I&I” – This happens when rainwater enters your private sewer line through a pipe defect and then flows into the City’s sewer system. This can cause the sewer system to overflow.
  2. Must be a low-income homeowner according to the SEP Eligibility Income Limits. Eligibility will be determined by reviewing the combined gross income of all persons living in your home.


This program was developed as part of the City’s Private Service Line Defect Remediation Program. This project was undertaken in conjunction with the settlement of an enforcement action, United States et al. v. City of Fort Smith, (C.A. No. 2-14-cv-02266-PKH, W.D. Ark.), taken on behalf of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency under the Clean Water Act.



Click here to download the SEP application and guidelines.  


Application packets can be picked up in person at 801 Carnall Avenue. (Map